[OpenGLAM] Wellcome

Paul Keller pk at kl.nl
Tue Jan 21 12:47:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,
i actually think that this is a somewhat problematic announcement. The images released by the welcome library are actually all out of copyright and should be labelled as such. You can’t apply a CC license to something that is not protected by copyright or similar rights since the license requires the presence of such rights in order to be effective.

Does anybody know if the welcome library claims that there are such rights in these works (for example in the reproductions) or if they have misunderstood how the licenses work? It would be great if we could find a way of working with them to fix this since in all other aspects this is a beautiful example of how public domain collections can be made available to the public.
best, paul