[OpenGLAM] FW: Wellcome

Paul Keller pk at kl.nl
Tue Jan 21 12:58:51 UTC 2014

Dear Doug,
thanks for the quick reply! i have heard this a number of times, but i have also heard a number op people disputing this. Now i am not really familiar with UK law (and how 19th century court cases influence things like copyright) but it would really great if someone give a fuller explanation
of why there is copyright in these reproductions (or point us to one).

That being said the fact that the welcome library has these rights does not mean that they need to license them (in the form of a CC-BY license). Instead the could apply a CC0 statement that would strip the reproductions of the rights that apply to the resolution and put them into where they belong: in the Public Domain.
best, Paul