[OpenGLAM] FW: Wellcome

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 13:28:32 UTC 2014

Whatever the reason, given that PD remain subsequently open to being
re-locked in, I am actually glad to see CC BY-SA used.  At the least, the
SA licenses are the only ones to even attempt to ensure that the material
continues to be adaptable.

Disney turned an early career at re-locking PD folktales into a media
empire.  They wouldn't touch something that was CC BY-SA.  Purity aside,
that thought experiment comes up in favor of CC BY-SA to me.

- Heath

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Paul Keller <pk at kl.nl> wrote:

> Dear Doug,
> thanks for the quick reply! i have heard this a number of times, but i
> have also heard a number op people disputing this. Now i am not really
> familiar with UK law (and how 19th century court cases influence things
> like copyright) but it would really great if someone give a fuller
> explanation
> of why there is copyright in these reproductions (or point us to one).
>
> That being said the fact that the welcome library has these rights does
> not mean that they need to license them (in the form of a CC-BY license).
> Instead the could apply a CC0 statement that would strip the reproductions
> of the rights that apply to the resolution and put them into where they
> belong: in the Public Domain.
> best, Paul
>
> On 21 Jan 2014, at 13:53, Doug Rocks-Macqueen <doug at landward.org> wrote:
>
> > Sorry should have sent this to the list-
> >
> > It might be a weird quirk of UK copyright law. If someone, for example a
> Museum or Library, takes digital photos of painting that is in Public
> Domain they technically own copyright to the photo. Even though that photo
> is an exact replication of the painting.
> >
> > It is from an 1800s court case about the "sweat of the labour" and the
> effort one takes to make a replication.
> >
> > This means in the UK museums own the copyright to hi-res images of works
> that they have taken.
> >
> > So they technically they are adding CC to the digital works not the
> under lying images.
> >
> > That might explain why they needed to add CC, for UK copyright because
> they are in the UK.
> >
> > It is also more clear to people who don't know about copyright and might
> not know that an image is in Public Domain.
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:41:43 +0100
> > > From: mathias.schindler at wikimedia.de
> > > To: jpekel at gmail.com
> > > CC: open-glam at lists.okfn.org
> > > Subject: Re: [OpenGLAM] Wellcome

> announced
> > >
> > > Thanks for the link. I am still a bit unsure how a CC-license can
> > > apply to works that are already in the public domain. In practice,
> > > people might feel obliged to attribute the source by their own
> > > editorial standards.
> > >
> > > Mathias

Heath Rezabek // labs.vessel.cc
Long Now Foundation (Intern) // Manual for Civilization Project //
longnow.org
Open Knowledge Foundation // Texas Ambassador for the OKFn // okfn.org
Icarus Interstellar // FarMaker Team // icarusinterstellar.org