[OpenGLAM] FW: Wellcome (Laurel L. Russwurm)

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Tue Jan 28 20:20:13 UTC 2014

Dear Daniel:

As you say, the "sweat of the brow" doctrine is merely a possibility,
and is neither explicitly or implicitly stated in law.

Encouraging this dangerous idea lends it legitimacy, accepting such a
possibility as a reality will help make it so.

You suggest that:

 >The question is about the possibility of copyrighting a digital
photograph of Da Vinci's painting of Mona Lisa.

But I have to disagree.  I think there are two questions.  The first is:

*What is copyright for ? *

Queen Anne's statute claimed copyright was for the benefit of authors,
and that has been the justification for the monopoly's existence since.
Yet as more and more interests grab for pieces of the copyright pie, the
people who actually create are lucky to get crumbs.  As an author
myself, I believe perpetual copyright would be harmful to authors.  And
while I also think any human being can be an author or creator,  I will
never accept that the act of organizing data or setting the dpi on a
scanner can be considered "authorship."

I am not sure why copyright law should be expected to provide a revenue
stream for Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums. Although GLAMs
own physical works, they do not own the copyright on works that are
already in the Public Domain, because physical ownership does not confer
copyright.

If it did, GLAMs would own the copyright on their holdings that are not
in the public domain.

If the law allows a photographer to assert copyright ownership in a
faithful photograph taken of a 2 dimensional public domain artwork, it
must also allow the photographer to assert copyright ownership in the
faithful photograph taken of a 2 dimensional copyrighted work.

If the law allows a scanner to assert copyright ownership in a faithful
digitization of a 2 dimensional public domain artwork, it must also
allow the scanner to assert copyright ownership in the faithful
digitization made of a 2 dimensional copyrighted work.

GLAMs have physical control over the works they own.  This ownership is
protected by property law.   GLAMs have the right to digitize the public
domain works in their holdings.  Or not. GLAMs can choose to put their
digitized public domain holdings online as tiny thumbnails, or in high
definition digital, or not at all.  They can limit the public access to
the works they own by keeping them locked in their own store rooms or
vaults and carefully controlling who sees them.  Or they can display
them in their own galleries, charging the public admission fees, and
prevent visitors (paying customers) from taking photographs (or try).
No one can force GLAMs to do anything they do not want to do with their
own holdings.

Some GLAMs are discovering that hoarding their holdings runs counter to
their stated objectives, and that if they open up their collections it
digitally increases their stature and the public's interest in the works
in their holdings.   Mona Lisa is the most famous, recognizable and
probably most copied and remixed piece of art in the world; but I am
willing to bet she is the single biggest draw to the Louvre.  People who
are not themselves artists, or art scholars, go to art galleries to see
the originals of works they have seen reproductions of.

If a GLAM -- let's say, the Louvre -- were to assert copyright ownership
of its own faithful copy of a physical work in the public domain, like
Mona Lisa, say, when Mary Jane from Mississauga visits the Louvre and
snaps a photo of Mona on her cell phone, then goes home and posts her
photo on Flickr, the Louvre can issue a DMCA takedown notice.  Mary
Jane's photo gets taken down.  By the same token, anyone who sets up an
easel in front of the painting in the gallery and makes their own
faithful reproduction can now also be charged with copyright
infringement, because the reproduction the artist made would infringe
the Louvre's copyrighted photograph.

If the idea that digitizing a 2 dimensional work in the public domain
catches on, just before an artwork's copyright protection is about to
expire, all the owner of the work would need do is digitize it, the new
copy resets the copyright term clock, and the copyrighted work can be
prevented from entering the public domain forever.

The second question, and the most important, is:

*What is the Public Domain for ?*

I think the public domain must exist for the same reason GLAMs exist: to
preserve and share the knowledge and culture of humanity.  Encouraging
GLAMs to help further the expansion of copyright law does the exact
opposite.

Regards,
Laurel L. Russwurm