[OpenGLAM] One Hundred Million Creative Commons Flickr Images for Research

Timothy Vollmer tvol at creativecommons.org
Tue Jul 1 00:16:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Estermann Beat <beat.estermann at bfh.ch>
wrote:

> As I understood it, Timothy argued to the contrary.
>

> Why on earth would you assume that metadata of non-free images would be
> copyrightable?
>
> And why on earth would you assume that the CC-license applied to an image
> would govern the use of the associated metadata? (the metadata are just a
> collection of facts about a given object that may be gathered by anyone,
> and certainly not part of the creative act leading to the image).
>

> There are rare cases where parts of metadata may be copyrightable (if for
> example someone adds poetic descriptions to images, which can be seen as
> creative works in their own right). – In this case, you can just remove
> these descriptions from your dataset, and you are left with a freely
> useable set of metadata.

Right, and this is what comes up when you're talking about the metadata in
the flickr set. If you look at some of the types of metadata they're
providing in the database...

photo_id, jpeg url, title, description, title, camera type, title, tags

...some are likely not protected by copyright, like "photo_id" or "url" or
"camera type". But I suppose some fields would contain creativity that
would be copyrightable--such as "tags" or "description". I assume that the
CC license only applies to the image itself, although I don't know what the
Flickr TOS say. But let's assume this is the case. Then you're left with a
situation where Flickr is offering a dataset of metadata where some of the
data is not protected by copyright, but other data (for example,
"description") is. So then it seems that Yahoo would have to figure out how
they're able to license this content if they want to include it in their
database. Perhaps they're doing it through the blanket nonexclusive license
that users most likely grant to Flickr when the agree to the terms of
service.  I'm not entirely sure. Is anyone more familiar with their terms
of use than I am?

tvol

> In some countries (e.g. in the European Union) there are sui generis
> rights on databases which may be applicable to metadata catalogues; but
> this is not the case here – neither with Flickr nor with Wikimedia Commons.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Beat

Timothy Vollmer
Public Policy Manager, Creative Commons