[OpenGLAM] OpenGLAM - After OKfest14

Joris Pekel jpekel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 09:43:15 UTC 2014

Dear all,

The OKfestival in Berlin has come to an end. It was great three days with
workshops and talks and thank you all that were able to contribute.

In this email some notes and actions.

First of all there was the OpenGLAM fringe event on Tuesday at the
Wikimedia office. All the talks can be found here:
*https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&pli=1&authuser=0#folders/0B1QgoW4uM9-fZDVpRkxhRUhIeHc
<https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&pli=1&authuser=0#folders/0B1QgoW4uM9-fZDVpRkxhRUhIeHc>*
This event was also the official start of the OpenGLAM Deutschland group,
so congratulations! If you want to know more about this group or perhaps
you are interested in joining, see: *http://okfn.de/openglam/
<http://okfn.de/openglam/>*

On Wednesday the "Maintaining a healthy and thriving public domain"
workshop was organised. This session addressed a lot of the discussion
points we had on the mailing list in the last couple of months such as
licensing public domain material with a CC-BY license. One of the things
proposed developing is an 'OpenGLAM scorecard' which can be used to rank
releases of open culture data. If this is a good idea and how this should
look like is still very much unanswered and I would like to hear from you
how you feel about this idea. Will do that in a different thread. I have
written a summary of the workshop here:
*http://pro.europeana.eu/pro-blog/-/blogs/2243611
<http://pro.europeana.eu/pro-blog/-/blogs/2243611>*

The other session organised on Wednesday was the ‘Bring the Public Domain
Calculators Worldwide’ session. Pierre blogged beforehand about it
here: *http://2014.okfestival.org/lets-bring-the-public-domain-calculators-worldwide/
<http://2014.okfestival.org/lets-bring-the-public-domain-calculators-worldwide/>*

Finally on Thursday Beat Estermann organised a session on the OpenGLAM
benchmark survey which was a great opportunity to get up to speed on the
current progress and discuss what next steps are needed. I also believe we
have found a few more people interested in conducting the survey in their
country. All info about the survey can be found here.
*http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/OpenGLAM_Benchmark_Survey
<http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/OpenGLAM_Benchmark_Survey>*

Finally I talked with a number of people about the Open Collections on the
OpenGLAM page and we all feel that this could do with some updating. The
Listify tool has worked great but now the list is getting longer it becomes
a bit messy and there is no good way to filter. This is also perhaps
interesting to integrate with the OpenGLAM scorecard. I will also send out
a separate message about this to get your input on this.

That was a short overview of the ton of things that happened last week in
Berlin. I am sure other people have blogs/photos/stories to share, so
please do!

Speak soon,

Joris

p.s: the organisers are asking everybody who attended to fill in their
feedback form. It is just a few minutes of work and it is really helpful
for next years conferences. (e.g: No. Cardboard boxes are not suitable to
cancel sound from another session next to you..) The form can be found
here: *http://2014.okfestival.org/feedback/
<http://2014.okfestival.org/feedback/>*