[OpenGLAM] Minneapolis Institute of Arts release metadata CC0

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 18:51:24 UTC 2014

Hi!

I was lamenting on Twitter this week that no American art museums[1][2] had
opened their metadata CC0, which is stifling work at the Wikidata project,
WikIProject Sum of All Paintings, and just continues to put the USA in what
feels like a geological age behind the EU regarding metadata licensing.

This morning I woke up to find out that the Minneapolis Institute of Arts
has released their metadata for over ~90,000 artworks CC0.

https://github.com/artsmia/collection

I was talking with staff members on Twitter today - and mentioned that
their PD artworks are still held under a very restrictive copyright, and
you have to pay for the works. They informed me that they are in the
process of opening up their PD works very soon.

Yahoooooo

-Sarah

[1] The Cooper-Hewitt has released their metadata under CC0 but it is a
design museum.
[2] The Walters Art Museum has licensed it's data under CC BY...hoping they
will change that soon.
[2] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_sum_of_all_paintings

--

Sarah Stierch

-----

Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.

www.sarahstierch.com