[OpenGLAM] Sum of all Paintings - Do we have all CC0 sets with paintings listed?

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Wed Oct 29 14:19:16 UTC 2014

Hi Sarah,

Could you please clarify what exactly you are looking for:

a)      Metadata for all existing paintings held by heritage institutions, worldwide

b)      Metadata for all paintings which are accessible online (how do you define “accessible online”? – are there any requirements regarding quality and licensing?)

If the goal is to document the sum of all paintings, then you should go for a). But some other formulations in your mail (“If your collection isn’t online, then we’re not able to do much with it…”) make me doubt…

Unfortunately, the project description page isn’t much clearer either.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this; I’d like to advertise this project in the context of the upcoming Swiss Open Cultural Data Hackathon (end of Feb. 2015).

And could you elaborate a bit more on your reference to CC0? – In my opinion, CC0 licensing of metadata is surely advisable for the sake of clarity, but not necessary in countries without copyright on factual data and collections thereof and without sui generis database rights.
Is there a Wikidata policy that advises against uploading copyright-free data that isn’t specifically licensed as CC0 to Wikidata?

Cheers,
Beat