[OpenGLAM] Sum of all Paintings - Do we have all CC0 sets with paintings listed?

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:11:58 UTC 2014

Hi Beat,

I can answer two questions, however, see below - as I'd prefer you to ask
these questions on wiki so all volunteers can participate...

--

I do know one thing - we want ALL DATA ON ALL PAINTINGS EVER! If you look
at the wiki page - you'll see a list of CC0 metadata that we can

We CANNOT upload metadata onto WIkidata through automated processes unless
it is CC0. It's stated there on the project page. We just can't. For
reasons I'm still working on eloquently explaining (meaning someone else
might be able to do it better, as I try to explain these things to the
laypeople who aren't devs/programmers) Wikidata requires all the data added
to it to be released CC0.

So, for example, despite the efforts of the Walters Art Museum,  we CANNOT
automatically upload their metadata on Github because it's licensed CC BY.
It's a requirement of Wikidata. I don't know about the public domain versus
CC0, but, so far at least in my experience, I don't have any metadata I've
came across that is "public domain" for paintings, just CC0 licensed. No
federal agency in the United States, for example has paintings that have
released metadata that would make it public domain.

However, I can't really confidently answer those questions completely -
so... see below.

--

Keeping with the tradition of Wiki - I would LOVE if you and anyone else
could ask questions ON the Wikidata talk page for this project. The reasons

1) I am one of 10 people involved in this project
2) I came into this project late and I am not the founder of this project.
fair for me to speak on behalf of decisions made and processes.

The talk page is here:

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata_talk:WikiProject_sum_of_all_paintings

That way all of our friends and colleagues on wiki can participate in
supporting you and answering any and all questions you and anyone else has.

Thanks for your interest!

-Sarah

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Estermann Beat <beat.estermann at bfh.ch>
wrote:

> Hi Sarah,
>

> Could you please clarify what exactly you are looking for:
>

> a)      Metadata for all existing paintings held by heritage
> institutions, worldwide
>
> b)      Metadata for all paintings which are accessible online (how do
> you define “accessible online”? – are there any requirements regarding
> quality and licensing?)
>

> If the goal is to document the sum of all paintings, then you should go
> for a). But some other formulations in your mail (“If your collection isn’t
> online, then we’re not able to do much with it…”) make me doubt…
>

> Unfortunately, the project description page isn’t much clearer either.
>

> Thanks in advance for clarifying this; I’d like to advertise this project
> in the context of the upcoming Swiss Open Cultural Data Hackathon (end of
> Feb. 2015).
>

> And could you elaborate a bit more on your reference to CC0? – In my
> opinion, CC0 licensing of metadata is surely advisable for the sake of
> clarity, but not necessary in countries without copyright on factual data
> and collections thereof and without sui generis database rights.
>
> Is there a Wikidata policy that advises against uploading copyright-free
> data that isn’t specifically licensed as CC0 to Wikidata?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Beat

Sarah Stierch

-----