[OpenGLAM] Bootstrap a combined OpenGLAM network - revitalise this mailing list

Sander van der Waal sander.vanderwaal at okfn.org
Thu Apr 19 11:10:07 UTC 2018

Hi OpenGLAMmers!

Last week the Creative Commons Summit took place in Toronto, and OpenGLAM
was discussed in multiple sessions.

We had a few conversations around how we can create more involved community
around OpenGLAM, and specifically converge the main three international
initiatives:
1. The OpenGLAM.org initiative that is part of the Open Knowledge network
(that this mailing list is part of)
2. Efforts in the Creative Commons community to set up a 'platform' around
OpenGLAM
3. The GLAM-Wiki initiative of the Wikimedia Foundation

Rather than duplicating efforts, how about we come together as one central
community? There were positive responses from the those in the three
communities who were present at the summit, so we're keen to explore this
further.

As a next step I'm proposing that we start using this mailing list for the
discussions around how to move this forward. And invite our friends from
Creative Commons and Wikimedia to join the discussion on this list. If you
have any reservations against this, please let me know (I'll wait until Thu
26 April so there's enough time to discuss any objections).

Specific ideas on what we could work on together included revising and
updating the OpenGLAM principles (https://openglam.org/principles/). We
also talked a lot about how the OpenGLAM movement can be mindful of and
help address working with ethnic minorities and other cultures where
openness in the way we envision it leads to problems and challenges. There
are also a lot of practical opportunities around sharing best practices,
and teaching / learning for GLAM institutions.

We'd love to hear from everyone on this - what do you think about the idea
of working together towards one OpenGLAM community? How would you like to
be involved? What other OpenGLAM communities should we talk to?

All the best,

Sander

*Sander van der Waal Head of Network and Partnerships  |  @sandervdwaal
<https://twitter.com/sandervdwaal>Open Knowledge International