[OpenGLAM] A harvest of Australian GLAM datasets

Tim Sherratt tim at discontents.com.au
Mon Apr 23 01:05:11 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I spent a fair bit of the weekend trawling through the national and state
government data portals looking for datasets relating to Australian
galleries, libraries, archives, and museums. I thought you might be
interested in the initial results:

https://github.com/wragge/ozglam-data

I haven't done any filtering, so there's some duplicates where datasets
are hosted on more than one portal. No doubt I've missed some things. My
interest is in collection data, but there's various business-related
datasets included as well.

The GitHub repo includes the harvesting code I used in a Jupyter notebook,
so you can play around with it if you want.

In summary -- I found about 790 datasets, 499 in CSV format.

>From here, I'm planning to collect more datasets from GitHub and elsewhere,
including those created by researchers from GLAM collections.

I embarked on this so I had a good stock of datasets to use as examples in
my OzGLAM-workbench -- a set of Jupyter notebooks bringing together tools,
examples, and hacks that help you work with Australian GLAM collections.
It's very much **under construction** but you can see what I'm up to here:

https://github.com/wragge/ozglam-workbench

Cheers, Tim
Tim Sherratt (tim at discontents.com.au)
Web: timsherratt.org