[OpenGLAM] Response to the Sarr-Savoy Report

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 08:25:08 UTC 2019

Wallace, Andrea, 19/04/19 15:04:
> Both the French and English versions are available CC BY via Zenodo.
>
> English: https://zenodo.org/record/2620597
> French: https://zenodo.org/record/2623964

Thank you. I have trouble understanding this passage: «avoid adopting
any strict open access recommendation that creates a double  standard
whereby French institutions have no open access obligations regarding
their own digital heritage collections, yet African institutions and
communities do».

Why don't you instead suggest to extend the open access requirement to
all French institutions instead? That seems the most obvious way to
avoid a "double standard".

While I share the worry that digitisation often translates into
appropriation of the work by means of copyright or pseudo-copyright
claims, I don't see how further reducing access would help anybody.
Isn't it easier to make sure that the French government never claims any
exclusive right on the work or digital versions thereof? The digital
object could be released in CC-0 or CC-BY-SA for the French government's
side while leaving intact any copyright claim by the original authors.

Federico