[open-government] Fwd: Berkman Center: Law.gov Workshops Next Week - Thursday 6/17 and Friday 6/18

Brian Gryth briangryth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:17:10 UTC 2010

Jonathan et al.,

I attended the law.gov workshop in Boulder, CO in April.  The project is
worthwhile and I recommend that people attend.  If for no other reason, than
to learn how much legal research costs in the United States and how access
to the law is essentially closed off to the public.  Mr. Malmund used a
phase something akin to "you have access to the law as long as you have a
credit card."  The legal research cartel (i.e Lexis/Nexus and Westlaw)
exercises an extreme dominance over the availability to legal research tools
and the legal research education programs of US law schools have
institutionalized this dominance.  The goal of law.gov is to open up access
and create an ecosystem of innovation and competition in legal research.

Some of the topics or issues discussed in Boulder were:

* The assertion of copy right over state law by some states.  Colorado is
one of these states.
* Authentication of electronic legal resources.
* Access to legacy or historic materials.  There are thousands of volumes of
legal information that is not in an electronic format.
* The digital divide and electronic access.
* Better citation practices by courts.  Currently, the dominate form of
legal citation in the United States is to a court reporter published by
West.

I found that day interesting and productive.  I will say that the one way
the law.gov movement could get more traction is to help legal practitioners
understand how releasing of primarily law data will help improve the
practice of law.  The putting it all together portion of the Boulder
presentation was practical to legal academic researchers.  The
law.govmovement will be hampered by the 10x effect until someone can
find or
present a product that is vastly superior to the cartel's.  At the moment,
the cartel's product will allow a practitioner to get his or her job done.
Of course, driving down costs would be the most compelling argument to most
practitioners.  (Every law student and legal professional is aware of the
$14000 legal research error horror stories told in law school.  An error
mostly likely caused simply by going outside your subscription's database or
forgetting to log out.)

In any case, I hope someone on this list will attend the Harvard
workshop and share their thoughts with the group.

Thanks,
Brian