[open-government] Fwd: Fwd: Survey: Open data in the governmental agenda of your country?

Richard Akerman scilib at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 14:59:07 UTC 2010

Forgot to CC this to the mailing list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Akerman <scilib at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [open-government] Fwd: Survey: Open data in the
governmental agenda of your country?
To: Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>

There is nothing official at the national level in Canada yet.
There are activities by various departments (which have been going on
for many years), and statements by various individuals in various
parts of the government, but no central direction as of yet.

The closest to a statement is in a consultation paper (not an official
strategy yet).  The government's Digital Economy Consultation states

http://de-en.gc.ca/consultation-paper/consultation-paper-6/#c_02

"Governments can help by making publicly-funded research data more
readily available to Canadian researchers and businesses. Open access
is consistent with many national strategies and holds great economic
potential for Canadians to add value to machine-readable data, while
ensuring that privacy rights are protected. In many cases, data are
already available but are difficult to locate. Consistent methods of
access will be reinforced."

It remains to see whether that will make it into the final strategy.

Our Parliamentary Library has provided a -- purely informational --
report on the status of open data in Canada (the library is not an
official policy-making arm of the government).  The federal section is

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/2010-14-e.htm#a4

"the government has not currently made a decision to expand this type
of disclosure at the federal level"

Note: Although I work for the Government of Canada, I am not an
official spokesperson.  The information I have provided is for
informational purposes only.

I have been contributing to the maintenance within Wikipedia of what
is essentially a list of the known open data sites at all levels of
government in Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Government_in_Canada

--
Richard Akerman