[open-government] UK open data policy group

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Thu Nov 25 13:11:50 UTC 2010

Dear all

it was great to participate in the camp and get such a strong international
mix, which is also the nature of this list.

However, we have some issues that are specific to the UK that we only dealt
with in fragments during the camp. At ORG we would like to convene people
working in UK Open Data to start discussions towards policy proposals and
engagements. This would include - but not be restricted to - the new "right
to data" planned by the government as an amendments to the Freedom of
Information Act.

Ideally these discussions should extend to or be informed by groups that
have been working on Right to Information and transparency. During the camp
there were already some disagreements over the need for a new right to data
and problems it could cause in practice.

It would be great as well if people who are working closely with government
in some practical areas could give us some hints as to what they think is in
the policy pipeline.

best, Javier