[open-government] map + calendar

Morgen Peers morgenpeers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 23:00:39 UTC 2010

hey

i joined this list only recently. i didn't do enough background reading on
the wiki when i joined. i didn't see the mapping project underway on OKF's
wiki. in the last few days i threw up some ideas for "mapping the open data
commons" on the Open Data Day wiki. the page is viewable at:

http://www.opendataday.org/wiki/Mapping_the_Open_Data_Commons

after visiting the links provided by Daniel i'm confident that our playful
efforts in Ottawa to map this emerging commons on Open Data Day will
compliment the more standardized, reference-worthy information that will be
compiled on the OKF wiki and elsewhere as things evolve.

one-line explanation of "mapping the open data commons" project for Open
Data Day:
- using a free concept mapping tool (Cmap Tools) and other ways of recording
"triplet" relationships (CSV, etc.), we'll do a big "brain dump" and see
what comes out

--- in addition: as the map is built on Dec. 4th, it will save to a public
server and be viewable in all browsers as a "dynamic image"
----- dynamic image : each node can "house" links to webpages or documents
related to the node's title, a small "resources" image appears and is
clickable by the viewer

> by also experimenting with an OWL authoring version of Cmap Tools (COE) on
Open Data Day, we'll see if we can render this map into other useful, more
high-powered formats

The Calendar:

i sent a brief email earlier suggesting that the Elmcity Project be
considered as an effective "calendering" tool

reasons to use elmcity:
- it uses delicious to aggregate calendar feeds
- calendar curators can use the same delicious account to "bookmark" the URL
of calendars
- the azure-hosted elm city service processes all bookmarked feeds and spits
out the calendar in a number of useful formats
- it's pretty easy to use

other points about elmcity:
- it doesn't solve the problem of how to add individual items to the
stream/feed
- possible "solve": anyone can make a public google calendar and suggest it
be added to the unified stream

I've probably missed a few things.

If anyone has specific questions or ideas about the mapping we'll be
initiating in Ottawa, please email me or get in contact over twitter (
@mpeers ). it'd be super helpful if others can generously do brain dumps as
well. we recognize that downloading additional software just to
collaboratively map is a lot to ask and in some cases may not be possible.
we're confident that we can have a few work arounds, including the idea to
use a shared or public spreadsheet on Open Data Day. the benefit of joining
us in the use of Cmap Tools will be a shared, real-time "infinite" white
space where we can collectively map and comment.

at minimum, Cmap Tools exports into Text Propositions and XML. so regardless
the map can live on.

i reiterate the sentiments expressed several days ago by other newcomers to
the list. rich discussion. glad to benefit from it.

cheers,
morgen