[open-government] International Hackhaton - RHoK?

Sara Farmer sara.farmer at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 9 09:55:40 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm one of the people in both the RHOK and OGHD camps.  And I have a suggestion for you all...  basically, I'd like to run a combined RHOK / OGHD camp in Birmingham UK.

This makes sense to me on several levels:

* History: the last hackathon in this venue was crisis software for local authorities that was produced as part of the Beyond 2010 open government event

* Opportunity: There are people in the UN thinking about humanitarian open data, and putting humanitarians and open government folks in the same space could spark some good ideas on this

* Geography: The UK is roughly halfway round the world in hackathon timezone terms, and could link the two camp sets together.

But I could really do with your opinions on this.

And volunteers!  We have a venue in the centre of Birmingham for the 4th and 5th December, if we can find people to run the hackathon on the day.  There are people (including myself) who are happy to help organising before the event, but they're all away for the weekend itself - either on holidays or in camps on the other side of the world.

So a) what do you think of this idea, and b) who wants to join in?

Thank you,

Sara.