[open-government] Economic benefits of open data

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:29:45 UTC 2010

I heard the Dutch Ministry of Education say they saw the number of requests
and questions (so not just FOIA, but all requests for info) drop
significantly by releasing all their education related data pro-actively
(well, not entirely proactive, it took a court case to get them going, but
they did that very constructively and saw the court decision as an
opportunity). Also the questions they still receive they can answer faster,
as they now know themselves where to find the data. Will see if I can get
some more concrete 'proof' from them.

As to arguing for the potential of open data. With the new Dutch government
(very much focused on budget cuts, and spending but 1 line in the coalition
agreement on internet and things digital) as well as with local governments
(also very much looking at budget costs) I am currently much more focussing
on how releasing data 1) helps that department itself to execute tasks, and
reach goals. 2) helps the department's 'clients' to better reach their goals
/ do their tasks. So positioning it either as being more efficient and more
effective themselves, and as being less 'needed' by empowering the ones the
department serves to be more effective (which also improves gov's image).

best,
Ton
Interdependent Thoughts
Ton Zijlstra