[open-government] Economic benefits of open data

toby at law-democracy.org toby at law-democracy.org
Mon Nov 15 16:58:32 UTC 2010

I agree that this argument has advocacy potential, hence my 'admission'
that I use it myself.

I am becoming concerned, however, that it will create a backlash in due
course. Already in Canada I would say one tends to get little mileage out
of such arguments.

So I would like to see two things:

1) Solid economic arguments based on evidence (I know about the UCL
Constitution Unit's work but I don't think it amounts to this). This could
either be generic studies about the value of proactive disclosure or more
focused studies on the economic benefits of open data. It would be great
if Tim's proposed session for London could go ahead.
2) More rights based arguments that do not depend on cost (sort of along
the lines of your second para. below). I think there are interesting
opportunities here (eg along the lines of proactive disclosure delivering
the right to information more effectively, as some posts to this list have
argued, and also deliver it in a more egalitarian way).

Best, Toby