[open-government] Economic Benefits of Open-Data

Dwight Hines dwight.hines at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 14:23:46 UTC 2010

Don't forget to at least cite Stiglitz's wonderful work on Mass Media and
Economic Development, published by world bank about 2000.   A whole
collection of robust studies that showed more econ devel related strongly
and significantly to mass media quantities and types.   His Nobel Prize was
partly earned by this research.

In the absence of high quality research at the local, state, or regional
levels, his international work must be assumed to hold for those levels.

Dwight Hines
IndyMedia

N.B.  I''m presently in the State of Maine. It has been ranked as 50th in
providiing opportunities in business and in careers.  From my limited
experience here in requesting open records, I believe the weak laws and no
enforcement for open records could be a definite leadiing cause of such a
low ranking.   This is testable across states -- we have the Forbes rankings
and what we need now are rankiings on how truly accessible gov records are
at state and local levels.