[open-government] OpenGovernmentDataCamp session? - "Making open data useful"

Tim Davies tim at timdavies.org.uk
Wed Oct 20 07:57:16 UTC 2010

Hey Bill

This sounds like a really good session: or, as you say, many strands that
could make up a useful 'using data' track or thread throughout the camp...

I've found it can be helpful in moving towards open government data to have
a fairly clear sense of the differences between 'supply side' and 'use side'
of policy, campaigning and capacity building.

There are things that users of data need supplied for it to be useful (good
meta-data; connections to data-custodians; etc.) and there are things that
can be done independent of the supply of data to develop data-uses (capacity
building; networking developers and those with interests in data; training
with civic groups etc.)

Exploring both of those in November would be fantastic.

All the best

Tim

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Bill Roberts <bill at swirrl.com> wrote:

> Noting Ton's recent interesting comments on 'socially open' data
>
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-government/2010-October/000308.html
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-government/2010-October/000310.html
>
> could I suggest that an interesting session for Open Government Data Camp
> would be "Making open data useful".
>
> In addition to the minimum requirements of licensing and re-usable formats,
> what can we do to encourage and enable use of open data?  This could include
> the kind of social recommendation and feedback approaches that Ton mentions,
> as well as approaches to discovery and exploration of data and input from
> the developer community on what the open data publisher can do to make the
> data easy to work with.
>
> Perhaps it's too broad a topic and should be split into different strands,
> but I'd certainly like to discuss this topic in London next month.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill

+44 (0)7834 856 303
@timdavies