[open-government] ODG Manual

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 21 18:51:39 UTC 2010

2010/10/21 Javier Ruiz Diaz <javier at openrightsgroup.org>:
> Actually
> Looking properly at the OGD manual draft.... It states the intended audience
> is basically everyone from government to activists, but the actual text is
> really a guide for governments wishing to open up data. The "you" throughout
> the text is a civil servant or politician.

Yes, I think you are generally right -- this was something we
discussed a lot during the book sprint.

I would emphasize that several sections are entirely general (esp.
'what is open data' and 'how') while the intro and why section are
very oriented to gov.

> This is a very necessary work and the manual is great from that perspective.
> However, if citizen groups, information activists or campaigners want to
> open up data and make use of it, they cannot identify with the manual. They
> might find the information useful but not directed at them.

You are absolutely right. Perhaps we a) refactor a bit b) we were
thinking of having example mini-sections and 'break-out' paragraphs
which could be targeted at specific groups.

> I would propose to rename the existing OD manual and create a new one coming
> from the other end of demand/users/citizens. Obviously a lot would be
> rehashed, but the whole dialogue would be different.
> Another option would be to label sections in a single manual but this may be
> more complicated.

Would be up for either - just a question of having the 'energy' to write two!

> At Open Rights Group we would be happy to contribute as part of our campaign
> on Open Data. We can start discussions during the camp and can dedicate some
> time in December.

That would be great!

rufus