[open-government] ODG Manual

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Fri Oct 22 00:30:00 UTC 2010

Hey, guys.

I'm glad to see continued interest in refining what OGD means, but I
think this conversation is tackling too much at once. If I were to write
more about OGD, here are some of the questions I would be thinking
about, and each one could be a whole document:

About an OGD Itself:

What are the shortcomings of the existing (and first to coin) "8
Principles" definition of OGD? One that comes to mind is "license free"
which while well accepted in the US is not well accepted anywhere else.

What is required to be laid on top of the OKD to make it "OGD"? What are
the higher standards we hold government to above the more general OKD?

What are the different ways countries are dealing with licensing and cost?

Implementation:

What technical (etc.) choices should a govvie make to comply with OGD?
Example cases.

How do you evaluate compliance?

I've written a little bit about these issues in my "civic capital"
monograph, but there's more to say.

- Josh Tauberer
- CivicImpulse / GovTrack.us

House as props."