[open-government] Economic Benefits of Open-Data - Presentation Ideas for City of Montreal

Toby Mendel toby at law-democracy.org
Thu Oct 28 09:58:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

This is my first formal comment on this list, so let me introduce
myself.

I run the Centre for Law and Democracy (www.law-democracy.org), an
international human rights organisation based in Canada that focuses
on promoting human rights which are foundational for democracy, such
as the right to information (RTI or FOI), freedom of expression, the
right to participate and the rights to assembly and association. Prior
to that I served for over 12 years as the Senior Director for Law at
ARTICLE 19, another international human rights NGO that focuses on
freedom of expression and the right to information. I have for many
years been very active internationally on right to information issues,
working in many countries to promote the adoption and effective
implementation of right to information laws and also on international
standard-setting (eg I wrote both the ARTICLE 19 principles on this,
The Public's Right to Know, and the ARTICLE 19 Model Freedom of
Information Law).

I have not worked much in the area of "open government" (I use quotes
because of course RTI is very much about open government too!) but I
am starting to get more involved in it. I believe that the RTI and OG
movements can learn a lot from each other. OG advocates can learn more
about using human rights to promote their issue, and RTI advocates can
learn more about some of the practical implications of openness,
especially using modern technologies.

The issue of economic benefits from OG is an important one, but also
one which needs to be approached responsibly if claims are to be
credible and believed. I have seen some very impressive claims in this
regard (reaching into the billions), but I confess I am sceptical
about them.

I do not agree, for example, with Julian's claim below. First, the
cost of running the FOI system in the UK is a different matter than
the benefits to be derived from OG. Second, and related, governments
do have to run complex FOI systems, because they do need to protect
all sorts of information (eg private information, sensitive third
party commercial information, sensitive security information, etc.). I
am the first to agree that these costs could be cut if officials
approached this issue with more of a culture of openness than by
trying to find as many exceptions as possible to justify the non-
release of information. But I suppose it would be very difficult to
quantify this and it certainly cannot be blamed for the full cost of
running an FOI system.

I would be very interested in hearing more about how economic benefits
of OG, including those listed by Jonathan below (which, by the say,
seem relatively modest and hence realistic compared to some of the
claims I have seen), are calculated.

Toby

Toby Mendel
Executive Director