[open-government] Economic Benefits of Open-Data - Presentation Ideas for City of Montreal

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Oct 28 10:06:49 UTC 2010

2010/10/28 Toby Mendel <toby at law-democracy.org>

> I run the Centre for Law and Democracy (www.law-democracy.org), an
> international human rights organisation [...]
>
> The issue of economic benefits from OG is an important one, but also one
> which needs to be approached responsibly if claims are to be credible and
> believed. I have seen some very impressive claims in this regard (reaching
> into the billions), but I confess I am sceptical about them. [...]

Thanks for your contribution Toby.

I'm interested that you've picked this thread to add to the discussion. From
a more philosophical level, economic benefit tends to be an argument from
utility maximisation whereas you are coming from a rights-based based. Do
you think that the teleological and deontological approaches can happily sit
together?

Tim McNamara
@timClicks

Masters Candidate in Public Policy,