[open-government] Economic Benefits of Open-Data - Presentation Ideas for City of Montreal

Roy Peled roypeled at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 08:42:28 UTC 2010

If I might add my thoughts -

1. this cuts costs of providing information. Instead of gov officials
cutting out pieces of information needed for other agencies, the press or
the public at large - everyone can just take what they need. While the
burden of work moves to the requestor, this saves communication time and
misunderstandings as to what is needed, hences makes the work more
efficient.

2. Cuts costs of protecting data - all too often efforts are put into
protecting data for no good reason. If we agree that much of the data should
be put in the public domain, there is much less to protect.