[open-government] Access to information a right in new Kenyan constitution

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Fri Sep 3 11:07:51 UTC 2010

Dear Gerhard,
I would agree with your general point, but disagree with your focus.
All these (namely, open data policies, constitutional provisions,
statutes on right to / freedom of information, institutional ombudsman /
authorities to implement these, progressive information architectures,
technical capabilities, sound data collection policies and
implementation of those policies at every level of governance, and a
hundred other considerations) are interconnected.

Just as one cannot expect a good information architecture to solve
things in face of a hostile government, one cannot expect good
intentions embodied in a constitution to automatically translate into
transparency, accountability, equity of information access, and
empowerment of citizenry (the shift from subject-hood to citizenship).

However a constitutional provision mandating access to information is as
good a position, nay even better a position, than most others in which
information-activists could find themselves.

You wrote:
 > I am not aware of any country on the globe where
 > a single constitutional provision without transformation
 > into Acts and Ordinances did show any significant effect.

I am however aware of countries where even statutes embodying the right
to information have not led to transformations of any significant sort,
and more or less remain in the statute books gathering dust.  Thus,
without the supportive ecosphere, no singular condition is sufficient to
ensure open data implementation.

Regards,
Pranesh

--