[open-government] Access to information a right in new Kenyan constitution

Innovation Navigator innovation-navigator at chello.at
Fri Sep 3 13:12:03 UTC 2010

Dear Pranesh,

1. At the opening of the international anti-corruption academy
yesterday in Vienna I met some colleagues from Kenya and they
specified that a separate FOI Act will be adopted within the next years.

2. As a lawyer let me simple point ouit that constitutional principles
are not that bad and will be considered by some courts in certain cases.
However, even if you win a case at the constitutional court it willl not
substantially improve the request (that might differ from
constitution to constitution).
And in most cases you are even not allowed to address the constitutonal court,
unless a specific Act is withstanding a constitutional principle.

3. I do fully share your observations and agree that the whole
ecosphere (including civil society) has to be supportive and adopt
that mindset.
Similar to the issue of fighting corruption where some countries already move
from law enforcement action to a more holistic approach.

kind regards,

Gerhard