[open-government] [DW] Gurstein: Open Data: Empowering the Empowered or Effective Data Use for Everyone?

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 13:49:02 UTC 2010

Gerhard,

My own feeling as expressed in the blogpost is that open data is a necessary
element for a well functioning democracy but that access to data is
insufficient if there is a significant set of financial, skill or other
barriers to actually making effective use of that data. There is thus the
need to extend the movement for "open data" to include making available the
means for making use of the data particularly by those who are already
economically, socially, educationally marginalized.

That most people don't use government data is not surprising, most people
have no need... What is crucial is that those people who do have a need, the
people in Solana County in California or in Zanesville/Coal Town in Ohio as
pointed to in the blogpost or in Berners-Lee's presentation, for example,
have the means both to access and to use the necessary data.

Best,

Mike