[open-government] Open Government data in Portugal

ricardo lafuente bollecs at sollec.org
Tue Aug 30 20:34:57 UTC 2011

Hello lists,
[apologies in advance for cross-posting]

I've been lurking in here and thought it would be appropriate to let you
know what's been going on in the Portuguese open data front. I noticed
that Portugal is usually one of the very few EU countries missing from
most open data initiatives.

Around September last year, a group was formed in the city of Porto --
named Transparency Hackday Porto -- to break with the apparent
non-existence of any open data efforts in this country*. We hosted
several hackdays in a hackerspace, including one two-day hackathon
(joining the global transparency hackathon initiative), where we focused
on parsing and normalising data on the Portuguese Parliament.

One project that began on that hackathon and is now in Beta is
http://demo.cratica.org, a frontend to access this data. There, we focus
on MP info and Parliament transcripts, providing a simple and
straightforward interface to allow anyone to go through it. We got
wonderful feedback, especially regarding the contrast with the official
Parliament site, where it's rather hard to reach Parliament transcripts
(and they're not indexed by search engines).

Sadly, we're using HTTPS meaning that Google Translate can't get through
(we're discussing about changing that). However, here are a few links so
that you can see what's where:

List of MPs:         https://demo.cratica.org/deputados/
MP info:             https://demo.cratica.org/deputados/4166/
Transcript calendar: https://demo.cratica.org/sessoes/2010/
Session transcript:  https://demo.cratica.org/sessoes/2010/6/17/

There are still many glitches and details that we're working on, but you
can see the gist of it -- our main concern was to reduce complexity
wherever possible, and provide a straightforward design that makes it
easy -- and dare I say, interesting -- to read what's going on in
Parliament.

Oh, and the Demo.cratica code is free software (AGPL), and we'd be
delighted to help in porting this application to other countries. It's
all done using free software as well.

There is also another great project by an accomplice of this group based
in Lisbon, this time around public state spending:
http://www.despesapublica.com/

Right now, the Transparency group is off for holidays, but we're
beginning to cook other open data projects. If there's anyone on this
list interested or involved in open data projects, we'd love to hear
from you!

Cheers,
Ricardo Lafuente

* There were a few, but most initiatives have been inactive for a while,
and we're not aware of active efforts as of today. Drop me a line if you
know of any!