[open-government] San Francisco's legal definition of open data and OpenDefinition.org

Adriel Hampton adriel at gov20radio.com
Fri Dec 9 05:13:37 UTC 2011

California Sen. Leland Yee today announced sponsorship for open format
legislation that would require documents and data that are published online
to be machine-readable. Here's a copy of his press release from today -
http://www.wiredtoshare.com/sen_yee_legislation_opengov

California's in a huge budget crisis and the governor just shut down the
state's open government portal - http://www.transparency.ca.gov/, so
getting *anything* passed is a big challenge. If you look at the landscape
of how government documents are published out here it abysmally poor -
http://www.wiredtoshare.com/salmon_and_clear_cutting_the_devastating_costs_of_bad_data_california_battle_creek
.

We need to support and build on digital open government efforts, and the
first step is to get Sen. Yee's legislation actually passed.

Adriel Hampton