[open-government] San Francisco's legal definition of open data and OpenDefinition.org

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 19:41:37 UTC 2011

There wasn't a link to the legislation, so this is possibly addresses in
it, but the most important aspect of open data is by a long way the open
aspect -- i.e. it needs to be released under an open licensed -- and unlike
federal data the US state data isn't by default in the public domain. Does
the proposed legislation require it to be under an open licence, and if so
which one?

Thanks
Chris

2011/12/9 Adriel Hampton <adriel at gov20radio.com>

> California Sen. Leland Yee today announced sponsorship for open format
> legislation that would require documents and data that are published online
> to be machine-readable. Here's a copy of his press release from today -
> http://www.wiredtoshare.com/sen_yee_legislation_opengov
>
> California's in a huge budget crisis and the governor just shut down the
> state's open government portal - http://www.transparency.ca.gov/, so
> getting *anything* passed is a big challenge. If you look at the
> landscape of how government documents are published out here it abysmally
> poor -
> http://www.wiredtoshare.com/salmon_and_clear_cutting_the_devastating_costs_of_bad_data_california_battle_creek
> .
>
> We need to support and build on digital open government efforts, and the
> first step is to get Sen. Yee's legislation actually passed.
>
> Adriel Hampton
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:
>
>> Fantastic! If you need any further support, please let us know.
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Timothy Vollmer
>> <tvol at creativecommons.org> wrote:
>> > Hey Jonathan:
>> >
>> > I'm gonna see if I can get there this weekend. I agree we need focus on
>> > legal considerations in addition to format issues.
>> >
>> > tvol

>> http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2011/12/05/setting-the-legal-standard-for-open-data/

>> http://data.gov.uk/blog/new-public-sector-transparency-board-and-public-data-transparency-principles

>> http://blog.okfn.org/2011/07/08/we-need-international-open-government-data-principles/

>> > --
>> > Timothy Vollmer
>> > http://creativecommons.org/about/people/#timothyvollmer
>> > phone = +016086982403 | skype = timothyvollmer | tw = @tvol
>> >
>> > Please donate to the CC Annual Campaign, going on
>> > now! https://creativecommons.net/donate
>> >

>> --
>> Jonathan Gray
>>
>> Community Coordinator
>> The Open Knowledge Foundation
>> http://www.okfn.org
>>
>> http://twitter.com/jwyg

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture