[open-government] National legal barriers to open data in Europe

Antti.Eskola at tem.fi Antti.Eskola at tem.fi
Wed Jan 5 12:06:23 UTC 2011

Hi Toby and Chris,

The key issue is the liability of the holder of the original data (usually I'm thinking of PSI).

I'm just pointing out a problem if try to isolate the acts of

1) running a retrieval service and setting conditions on use of such service and
2) attaching a license to the data (= setting conditions to the use of the actual data)

Neither the conditions nor the license should need to include a clause stating that they can be used only for legal purposes in an attempt to guard the PSI holder from lawsuits.

On the other hand, I also see the reasoning behind trying to extend spamming laws to PSI holders. The latter may be more likely to obey the law than the spammers.

The liability questions are far from solved, but a good rule would be that the users of the data bear the responsibility rather than data holders or any services that facilitate the use of the data.

Antti