[open-government] Extracting data from SAP (& other ERP systems) - advice welcome

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Jul 6 06:11:42 UTC 2011

An open source project for data excavation seems like an intriguing
prospect. I'm surprised that it doesn't already exist. I know that it's
fairly simple to export a table, however complex data leads to complex
problems.

I would really like to nudge people towards providing written content for
the Open Data Manual, rather than events. Events should happen alongside
written material, however we need to be able to reach people across the
entire world.

I was thinking about short help material:

 - how to export a table to CSV
 - how to generate a CSV file by joining and denormalising two tables

Generating these snippets would be a few hundred words of content. They
would provide great value to people looking at diving deeper, because they
demonstrate that opening data doesn't need to include the chequebook.

Does my thinking compute?

Tim McNamara
Professional \\  paperlessprojects.com
Personal \\  @timClicks <http://twitter.com/timClicks>  |  timmcnamara.co.nz