[open-government] We need international open government data principles

Ruth del Campo Bécares ruthdelcampo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:05:54 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I would like to join this discussion. I think it is really important
matter and it would be awsome if we could move forward to get a high
level agreement paper on this issue. I have already had some thoughts
about it and I would like to share with you.

In the international area, the organizations which could make a kind
of international agreement are the OECD and UN.

- The OECD is very good on doing some papers, some of them they cover
open government principles but it have also some drawbacks. First
because OECD do not represent all countries, only 34 members belong to
OECD http://www.oecd.org/pages/0,3417,en_36734052_36761800_1_1_1_1_1,00.html
Second, because all agreements and papers are "only" recommendations.
That means they do are not binding to any country, so the real
efectiveness of the OECD papers although important, are somehow
limited. A high level paper takes a couple of years to get approved.

- The UN covers many more countries and their agreements are binding.
Therefore, thinking in long term perspective, they should be the ones
who deal with this matter. which agency in the UN system should cover
this issue?  Not sure about this. Maybe the UNGIS which is a body
which deal with information society or maybe the UN Secretary General
itself, dont know

With regard to the World Bank, I dont know much about them, but I have
my doubts if they could lead this, because their aim is completely
different.

I think the hardest question now is how to start. There should be a
high level representative that should start advocating for it so that
other key stakeholders could join this.

This kind of agreements require lots of consensus and advocacy to get
it aproved.

Best,
Ruth