[open-government] A story about russian transparency, open data and USAID

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 05:32:47 UTC 2011

Dear, Innovation institute.

I am glad that you have so much attantion to Russia. At the same time I see
so many myths in your words.
If you you will reread my text you will find that I was writing about
non-transparent USAID actions and not something else.

About Russian transparency you should differ transparency of sensitive
historical military data and transparency for people. So yes, our military
and special services institutions aren't transparent and not going to be.
And they are not transparent not because they can't but since we don't have
"social request" for it here in Russia. That's why if you want to get this
information you will have to use your politicians to request your data and
nothing else will work.

And about transparency in Russia. Tell me, does every EU country have
government finances transparency like in UK? All contracts are published,
all government obligation disclosed? All all information about officials
income is available. No?
At the same time we have it all in Russia. Our Federal Treasury publishes
all government contracts data as open data. All of russian federal officials
publish income statements online. And so on. We have much more data
available than many EU countries the difference is not in government,
difference is in people.

We don't have yet enough activists to transform this data to open data and
use all this data for common good.
 At the same time I see how it's changing and I am one of the persons who
change it. For example I have open data about russian budget but I don't
have enougth time right now to prepare it for
http://wheredoesmymoneygo.org/ project.So
probably russian government is not transparent since I am lazy or busy? Yes,
it is.

So about transparency and Russia. Earlier I wrote a post for Epsiplatform
"Unqualified transparency"
http://www.epsiplatform.eu/guest_blogs/unqualified_transparency and problems
that I mentioned in this article actually based on culture of working with
information and not something else. Actually most data in Russia is closed
or not too good for opendata since officials just don't understand opendata
value and not because they want to hide it.

And since you speak russian take a look to these projects -
http://zakonoproekt2011.ru/ and http://zakon-fom.ru/node/134. First was
created by Russian President administration and second one by Federal
Government and was announced 3 days ago. Both project dedicated to collect
peoples opinion about drafts of laws and other government documents. Anybody
can comment, vote and propose new editions for paragraphs. Right now I am
convincing developers of both projects to open data related to discussion
and to create methodology not only for discussion but and to implementing
laws too.

--

Best Regards,
  Ivan Begtin