[open-government] Open Public Services - Democratic Decentralisation

JOSEFSSON Erik erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu
Fri Jul 29 13:16:06 UTC 2011

Dear Neil,

I have an issue with the U.S. centric outlook of Beth Noveck's paper which bluntly states, only one year after the EU rejection of the software patents directive, that it's not politically possible to do anything about the patent system going down the "forbidden path" of Dispositionsprogramm:

"Similarly, proposals to [...] revisit the scope of patentable subject matter [...] do not eliminate the need to address the information deficit. They also require extraordinary political capital to move through Congress." (p. 126)

For obvious reasons, I don't see it the same way, and there are other well developed strategies, which is why I would hesitate to put the Peer to Patent portal as a headline example of Open Government.

Maybe U.S. politcal capital can increase to levels where effective patent reform is possible. This NPR broadcast seems to me to represent a new wave of fundamental critique of the patent system: http://www.thisamericanlife.or?g/radio-archives/episode/441/w?hen-patents-attack

If you are looking for a progressive solution for Open Government in the field of patent administration, please have a look at the Polluters Pay Portal http://eupat.ffii.org/07/p2parl/exam

Best regards.

//Erik

Erik Josefsson