[open-government] We've reached 500 members - what next?

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Fri Jun 3 09:37:08 UTC 2011

Hi

On 02.06.2011, at 04:12, Tim McNamara wrote:

> I've just checked this list's administration page, and the group's membership count has reached 508. Amazing.
>
> I would like to make sure that we're ensuring people have options to participate in activities other than communicating amongst each other. Noting that we're the open government working group, let's make sure that if there are people who would like jobs to do that they have an opportunity to do so.
>
> Does anyone have any views on:

Yes I have :)

> - what the goals of this community are or should be?

act as hub, be a network of best practice, build a comprehensive knowledge base and documentation (e.g. the mapping project and the open data manual)

> - what kinds of activities we could or should undertake?

until know this working group does mostly function as a low volume mailing list where people drop news and raise questions. That is great - but I think we could do much better.

> - whether a smaller group should be formed from within this community to do activities, and allow the mailing list to be for broader communication?

I like the idea of building an "advisory team", but also see some problems there, see comments in the incubator.

Daniel