[open-government] Call for Comments on Draft National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy | Deadline: May 25, 2011

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri May 20 19:11:36 UTC 2011

This looks interesting. While there is mention of 'open data policy'
and this probably means something to most of us on this list -
unfortunately I think in official policy documents and recommendations
this probably still requires a bit of clarification to be meaningful.

I.e. 'open data policy' is not just 'generally making stuff available
online and having policies that promote openness and transparency and
participation'. It should probably have at least two of the following
;-)

  (i) making information available for reuse without restriction (as
in opendefinition.org) - at least 'by default' or 'a presumption in
favour of, with limited exceptions'
  (ii) something about removing technical barriers to reuse (whether
this is framed in terms of machine-readability, 'raw' data, bulk
access, or whatever else)

See, e.g. the US Open Government Directive, the UK Public Data
Principles, the NZGOAL licensing framework, and so on.

(Should the OpenDataManual.org have a section on drafting open data
principles or creating open data policies - in addition to the stuff
on licensing / legal tools?)

J.