[open-government] ENEL open data!

Lorenzo Benussi lorenzo.benussi at top-ix.org
Mon Sep 19 10:30:03 UTC 2011

Compliments to ENEL that published today its data under CCby.
The first case of a private italian company adopting the open data model.

http://data.enel.com/en

I think it's a good news for at least two reasons:
1) It make corporate data more transparent, in particular financial data. It can lead to new forms of collecting "economic" data (open and crowd-sourced) that can hopefully make more accurate accounts of global markets (we need it, don't we?) - Imagine to empower projects like opencorporates with open data sources directly from corporations.
2) It can start a inspire others corporations to provide open data information about assets, process, and everything they do that is relevant to the public. Some examples could be: information about natural resources provided by the oil industry, the power and communication grids, ships logistics, ecc.

I am looking forward to see more private open data!

I am also happy that the news comes from an italian company, It's the kind of good example we need so much.

Ciao, lorenzo