[open-government] African Open Data

Justin Arenstein justinarenstein at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 11:13:00 UTC 2011

Fred,

Hi. You asked for guidance on how to start advocacy for open data.

A group of us involved in open data / open gov / data journalism campaigns
in east & southern Africa are starting to pull together a pan-African
coalition or community under the aegis of the Open Africa Foundation. If
you're interested in linking up, shout & I'll connect you with the folk
running the outreach programme there.

I'm also helping roll out an African network of HacksHackers.com chapters to
help both geeks and media to start using available data. We're about to
launch chapters in both Ghana (the core organising group actually met at the
Kofi Annan Center in Accra during the AppCirus Showcase last week) and in
Nigeria (1st in Lagos, & then in Abuja). Shout if you'd like to participate.

Cheers,
Justin

Justin Arenstein*
*