[open-government] About Moscow city administration opendata plans

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Sep 15 18:14:53 UTC 2011

2011/9/15 Ivan Begtin <ibegtin at gmail.com>:
[...]
> I would like to lauch public discussion here in Russia about city data
> openness and to civil oversight over city administration activities.
> So could you help me please with information about similar city projects
> around the world ? I know that there are Toronto, Chicago, Berlin and dozen
> other city opendata projects.
> If you know about any city level opendata portal, could you tell me about:
> - how long time it takes to create it and to make it public?

Depends what you need to do. To deploy a CKAN instance and do a bit
theming could be a matter of a week (or even less). If you need to
integrate with other material or do more customization it would be
longer. Data Greater Manchester <http://datagm.org.uk/> is an example
of a reasonably simple city level open data portal.

> - how expensive it is to create city level opendata portal?

Again depends what you need to do.

> - which open source solutions available? I know about CKAN and NDC from
> Sunlight Labs.

NDC site has been "sunsetted" though I believe the code is still
around on github.

Rufus