[open-government] Global index of primary public government (ideally open) data sources? Ideally with an API?

Tariq Khokhar tariq at khokhar.net
Wed Apr 25 21:47:19 UTC 2012

Thanks Phil and Rufus,

I also thought of datacatalogs.org and checked the Civic Commons wiki but
neither seem to offer or mention anything with enough coverage/stability to
do an API call for any country code we cover, that then returns URLs +
descriptions for official primary sources in that country.

Do you think putting effort into improving datacatalogs.org is the way to
go? I guess the catalog could be queried by the country field and we just
massage the response? It would also be reassuring for our web security
people that we weren't building on top of something that was liable to get
hacked or gamed (us linking to a country's stats ministry that suddenly
looked a lot like an online poker site would not go down well!)

Thanks again :-)

tk

--
Tariq Khokhar