[open-government] Global index of primary public government (ideally open) data sources? Ideally with an API?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Apr 26 12:17:22 UTC 2012

On 25 April 2012 22:47, Tariq Khokhar <tariq at khokhar.net> wrote:
> Thanks Phil and Rufus,
>
> I also thought of datacatalogs.org and checked the Civic Commons wiki but
> neither seem to offer or mention anything with enough coverage/stability to
> do an API call for any country code we cover, that then returns URLs +
> descriptions for official primary sources in that country.

We store spatial information on each data catalog if available, see e.g.

<http://datacatalogs.org/catalog/data_gov_uk>
<http://datacatalogs.org/catalog/opendata_go_ke>

And there's API info for these:

<http://datacatalogs.org/api/rest/dataset/data_gov_uk>
<http://datacatalogs.org/api/rest/dataset/opendata_go_ke>

As you see this includes spatial info in the "extras" section:

spatial_text: "Great Britain",
language: "en",
spatial: "GB"

You can query on spatial info too:

<http://datacatalogs.org/dataset?spatial=ar>

Brings up catalogs in Argentina.

> Do you think putting effort into improving datacatalogs.org is the way to
> go? I guess the catalog could be queried by the country field and we just

That would be my suggestion though it could definitely be complemented
by a traditional wiki or similar as Philip suggests.

> massage the response? It would also be reassuring for our web security
> people that we weren't building on top of something that was liable to get
> hacked or gamed (us linking to a country's stats ministry that suddenly
> looked a lot like an online poker site would not go down well!)

Agreed re security. I note that Data Catalogs uses the moderated edits
feature of CKAN: at the moment anyone (even non-logged in users) can
make edits but for these to go live (i.e. visible in API or website)
needs an approval by a moderator.

Rufus

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation