[open-government] Citizens Engagement in Open Gov't Data

Tim Davies tim.g.davies at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 19:44:34 UTC 2012

Dear Fabio,

Wolfgang Both contributed a field note on the experience in Berlin of using
online voting to source citizen input to prioritise dataset choices to a
recent issues of the Journal of Community Informatics which might be
useful: http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/article/view/814/918

More broadly, I've been working with a more general notion of 'open data
engagement' over recent months - looking at the sorts of outreach
activities that open data portal providers might need to engage in to find
priorities for datasets and to develop strategies. Some initial frameworks
at http://www.opendataimpacts.net/engagement/

One of the challenges with many approaches to sourcing needs for open data
is that those in civil society who might benefit most from access to data
are not necessarily operating within a language of 'open data' or very
aware of the notion of open data, and so initiatives to source input might
need to find other ways to engage with these potential beneficiaries, and
to explore their information and data needs.

I would be really interested to hear what other approaches to engaging
civil society with open data you uncover in your research...

All best wishes

Tim