[open-government] Citizens Engagement in Open Gov't Data

David Eaves david at eaves.ca
Mon Apr 30 19:52:21 UTC 2012

Hi Tim,

Really quickly on this note... I have a blog post that tangentially
talks about this:
http://eaves.ca/2012/03/08/calculating-the-value-of-canadas-open-data-portal-a-mini-case-study/

What is interesting is that some of the most downloaded data sets are
being used by communities that I hope will get more excited about open
data. For example, Anthropogenic disturbance footprint within boreal
caribou ranges across Canada
<http://www.data.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=5175A6F0-1&xsl=datacataloguerecord&metaxsl=datacataloguerecord&formid=F34DCB32-4845-4E88-B125-5AC03C6E4A7F>
I happen to know plays an important role in the negotiation of the
Canadian Boreal Forest agreement between ENGOs and the forestry industry
- and there it is, one of the most downloaded data sets!

There are some other interesting sets in there. Seeing what poeple are
actually downloading doesn't answer the question you are asking (e.g.
where is there unknown potential demand for OD) but it can sometimes
answer a different question (where is there unknown/unquantified current
demand).

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
dave