[open-government] Fwd: [ciresearchers] World Summit on the Information Society -- Stocktaking

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 19:34:17 UTC 2012

FYI

Michael Lenczner and I helped formulate the WSIS Plan of Action
(http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs/geneva/official/poa.html) from the
perspective of Civil Society back in 2005.  Many of the action items
related to data were part of our bold late night and collective
actions in the WSIS civil society declaration Drafting room in
Winnipeg.  Who would have known that the Tunisian Cyber dissidents who
were quite vocal at that event, especilly when the Tunisian Ambassador
flew in to quell their voice and interventions would later be part of
the Arab uprising.

Open data and ideas about open government have greatly evolved since
then, and it will be interesting to see if there will be an open data
component at WSIS + 10.

This is also where I met Catherine Roy who was the moderator of the
session on science & research data that I was invited to speak at.

It might be good to register your open data initiatives here in this
stock taking exercise
(http://groups.itu.int/stocktaking/About/WSISStocktaking.aspx).

Cheers