[open-government] A Brief Legal History of Open Government Data

Josh Tauberer tauberer at govtrack.us
Mon Jan 30 01:37:53 UTC 2012

Over the last year I've been tracing the history of open government data
laws back in time and have found some interesting stories involving....

    The Visigoths, and perhaps the earliest open-law law,

    Flour inspectors in the 1760s, and codification of law,

    Disbursements disclosure in 18th century China, and

    The first FOI law in 18th century Sweden.

These stories and more can be found at
http://opengovdata.io/2012-02/page/4/brief-legal-history-open-government-data.

...which is Chapter 4 of my creatively titled book

    Open Government Data: The Book
    http://opengovdata.io/

And by "book" I mean website with a lot of words.

I'll be posting about other chapters as they are finalized. Next up will
be "17 Principles of Open Government Data."

Feedback warmly welcome.

--
- Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)
- GovTrack.us | POPVOX.com