[open-government] Open Government Data and the complexity of administrative divisions

Pierre Chrzanowski pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:00:08 UTC 2012

We already know that: one complexity of open government data is that each
country operates its own administrative divisions or jurisdictions of the
state. Think about the difference between the multi-layered and non-uniform
divisions in the UK, the Federal Germany, the France and its departments
and regions, the US as a Federation.

But I also think open government data can help us to better understand
those divisions.

When you start looking at which public sector information is produced by
which entity, you are looking at the organisation of a country.

So my question is the following: do we have an application which can help
to map datasets with the data producer/owner and with the associated
administrative (spatial) division? Something you could plug on a data
portal.

Such an app could help to better understand administrative division within
a state, make comparisons, track progress, and find or request for datasets
more easily.

If a data portal or a company is already using such a feature, I would be
very interested in seeing it.

Thank you

Regards

--
*Pierre Chrzanowski for OKFN France*
Skype: pierre.chrzanowski // Twitter : piezanowski