[open-government] Do the Open Government Partnership endorse a clear definition of Open Data ?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Nov 2 17:12:31 UTC 2012

On 2 November 2012 11:01, Pierre Chrzanowski
<pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am drafting a proposal for an Open Government Data Initiative and I was
> wondering if the OGP was endorsing a clear definition of Open Data such as
> the Open Definition ? I did not find any. The only citation i found was in
> the declaration : "We commit to pro-actively provide high-value information,
> including raw data, in a timely manner, in formats that the public can
> easily locate, understand and use, and in formats that facilitate reuse.".

This is an excellent question Pierre. It would be great if the Open
Definition was baked in as it would ensure that OGP data releases were
actually "open data". The Open Definition Advisory Council (several of
whose members are member of this WG) have been reviewing open
government data project licenses for a while and many have been found
quite wanting.

> I am asking this because I see more and more international organisations and
> countries backing the OGP, which is a very good news, but once you enter in
> the process of data licensing and formats it seems everyone still has its
> own view.

+1

Rufus

> Regards
>

> --
> Pierre Chrzanowski
> Skype: pierre.chrzanowski // Twitter : piezanowski

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation